History of St Peter St Pauls Church

  History of St Peter St Pauls Church The first church was built in the early 12th century, building and reconstruction work continued right up to the reformation, when a new tower on the north side and a chapel at the east end (now used as the clergy sacristy) appears to have been completed by the mid 1530's. The original church was much smaller than the church we see today.  The west end wall is on the site of the first tower, and the east end of the church would have been at the...
More

The Norman Church

1187-1200 This first Church was a modest one, which perhaps can best be imagined as a sort of cage within the present structure. Standing at the back by the west door, we are at the west wall of the original Church with its tower above our heads. In front on the left is an arcade of rounded Norman arches, and there would have been a matching arcade on the right also. (more…)
More